Surviving an Economic Downturn
Step 1: I have an open child support case with the Office of the Attorney General (OAG).
If you have an open child support case with the OAG, your order might be eligible for a modification.
Child support orders can be modified if either of the following conditions is true:
- It has been three or more years since the order was established or last modified and the monthly amount of the child support ordered differs by either 20 percent or $100 from the amount that would be awarded according to child support guidelines.
- A material and substantial change in circumstances has occurred since the child support order was last set. Generally, this means that at least one of the following things has happened:
- Your income has either increased or decreased.
- You are legally responsible for additional child(ren) since the last order.
- Your child(ren)’s medical insurance coverage has changed.
- Your child(ren)’s living arrangements have changed.
IF you think either of the conditions above applies to your situation, use the child support modification calculator to see if your child support order may qualify for a modification. Then go to Step 2 for more information about modifying your order.
(Note: Projected monthly child support obligation is based on Texas Family Code guidelines for parents whose monthly net resources are $7,500 or less. [TFC § 154.125].
Important: Only the court can change your child support order. Parents cannot decide between themselves to change a child support order.
IF the above conditions do not apply to your situation, you are not likely to be eligible for a change in the amount of child support you are ordered to pay. However, if you still want to talk with someone about your case, contact your local child support office.
If you do not have an open child support case and you want to apply for services from the OAG, complete the online application.
If you have questions about applying for services, visit the frequently asked questions page on our website for more information.