Adult/Adolescent SANE Austin July 2014
July 21-25, 2014
The purpose of this training is to imrpove the response by healthcare to the needs of the adult/adolescent patient presenting for medial care with a complaint of sexual assault or sexual abuse. The Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) training is designed to increase the registered nurse's knowledge regarding the role of the SANE while providing nursing care and treatment during a medical forensic examination, during courtroom testimony and as a member of the community Sexual Assault Response Team (SART).
SANE Medical Directors and physican assistants seeking knowledge of the care of the patient with a complaint of sexual assault are welcome to register to attend these classes. Continuing Medical Education (CME) hours will not be provided.
Registered Nurses (RN) participant eligibility requirements:
* Application and Personal Information Form must be received by Sexual Assault Prevention and Crisis Services (SAPCS) at least 14 days prior to the first day of class.
* RN license must be in good standing with the Texas Board of Nursing or other state nurse licensing entity.
TX OAG Adult/Adolescent SANE Currency of Practice Certification (CA-SANE)
A registered nurse may be eligibile for TX OAG SANE Currency of Practice Certification if the minimum nursing qualifications (nursing licensure and experience) are met and the three core components (OAG approved SANE Training Course, clinical requirements and courtroom observation) are completed within the designated timeframe. A registered nurse must meet all of the requirements and submit a complete application packet within one year of starting the Training Course.
A registered nurse seeking to become a Texas Office of the Attorney General's Adult/Adolescent SANE Currency of Practice Certification must complete:
* CA-SANE (Adult/Adolescent): Completion of 80 hour SANE training (40 hours of adult/adolescent and 40 hours of pediatric) is required for the TX OAG CA-SANE Currency of Practice Certification.
*It is required a registered nurse complete the 40 hours of adult/adolescent SANE training before completing the 40 hours of pediatric SANE training.
* Clinical requirements: Please be prepared to collaborate with the SART members in your community to obtain clinical training required for TX OAG CA-SANE Currency of Practice Certification. Clinical cannot be started prior to completing the didactic training.
* And have two years of registered nursing experience at the time application for certification is made.
If you currently posses a SANE or similar certification from another state or national entity, contact the OAG SANE Program Administrator at SAPCS@texasattorneygeneral.gov for more information.
- 40 Contact Hours
- This continuing nursing education activity was approved by the Texas Nurses Association, an accredited approver of continuing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.